06 September 2026

Inveraray Castle and Gardens

We stopped in Inveraray for lunch and a quick visit. Inveraray Castle was a moderate walk from town. I didn't have time to tour the castle, but I paid the admittance fee so I could walk around the gardens. It was money well spent. The gardens were incredible.


Inveraray Castle, c. 1741

Inveraray Castle was built in 1741 and is one of the earliest examples of Gothic Revival architecture. It replaced an earlier 15th century castle. The castle has been the seat of the Dukes of Argyll, chiefs of Clan Campbell, since the 18th century. The castle gained a modern audience when it appeared in a 2012 episode of Downton Abbey.


Welcome to Inveraray Castle and Gardens

Black-eyed Susans

A bouquet of color

Gothic

Geranium

Beautifully landscaped
Welcome to the castle
The crown
Stroll through the gardens

Castle gardens
Old Man's Beard

The path to the castle
White blooms
Site of the 15th century castle
Award winning gardens

2024 garden of the year