06 September 2026

Our first tour stops

It was the second time I'd seen the Kelpies, the large horse head sculptures in Helix Park near Falkirk. It was the first stop on our 9-day tour of the Highlands and Islands. It goes without saying that the sculptures are impressive: 98 feet high, towering above an extension of the Forth & Clyde Canal. I tried to figure out how to take pictures that were different from the ones I took two years ago when I first saw them.


Duke and Baron
Close-up of nostrils

Close-up of eyes
Close-up of mouth
Stainless steel plates

Selfie with the Kelpies
Swans along the path to the Kelpies

After driving another ~45 miles, we reached Loch Lomond, the largest freshwater lake in Great Britain: 24 miles long x 5 miles wide. Loch Lomond is within the boundaries of Trossachs National Park, Scotland's first national park (c. 2002). We stopped off in Tarbet on the western shores of the loch (lake). It was a quick look around and comfort break. I think it was at that point that I realized the tour was going to be one of quick stops and highlights, not much time at any one spot. But, hey, that's the nature of tours. You have to go back if you want to spend serious time at any one place. Tarbet probably would have been a nice place to take a boat cruise.


Loch Lomond
Clear water

Cruises on the lake
Western shore of the lake

The environs