Sunday, August 19, 2018

Wildlife Conservation

July 2018 -- The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is a non-profit organization dedicated to conservation, research, education, and animal care. The center is located on about 200 acres at the head of Turnagain Arm and the entrance to Portage Valley, Milepost 79 of the Seward Highway. It was one of my stops before I got to Seward. It serves as a wildlife sanctuary orphaned or injured wildlife, as well as home or temporary home to captive born and translocated wildlife.  

I'm glad I stopped. I got to see lots of animals, including bears. Otherwise, I saw very little wildlife (except on boat cruises) in Alaska. Plus, the refuge was located in a very scenic area. Great for picture taking.

Muskox


The bears seemed to be the main attraction at the center. They were in reasonably large natural habitats (with water to play in). There was an elevated viewing area. It was glad to learn that my cruise line was helping to pay for habitat improvement (for bears) at the center. Of course, it's in their best interest (tourism; more to see in Alaska).



Alaskan Brown Bear

Had to settle for seeing a Grizzly bear in captivity
Bear viewing area

Enjoying the air
Bear observation

Enjoying the water

Cervids with the easy life

No comments: