Monday, August 20, 2018

Stayed in a yurt

July 2018 -- While visiting Seward (after my Alaska cruise), I stayed in a yurt. I've been fascinated with yurts since my first trip to Kazakhstan in 1994. A yurt is a portable, round tent, usually covered in felted wool or skins. It is (was) traditional housing for nomads in places like Kazakhstan and Mongolia. I always wanted to get one (a wool one) for myself.  Put it in my yard. The Kazakh Embassy brought a yurt to the 1995 Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival. Yurts have become semi-popular for "glamping."


A village of yurts

Staying in a yurt was one of the highlights of my Alaska trip.  It was certainly my favorite accommodation. My yurt was called the "Funky Fox Hole." It was just big enough to hold a double bed. The bathroom was in a different building. There was also a place where you could get breakfast (outside, but under a roof). At night, we sat around a campfire.


Funky Fox Hole

A luxurious bedroom

Showers and kitchen

Beware of bears:  you're in bear country

No comments: