Friday, August 24, 2018

Juneau: Capitol of Alaska

One of our cruise stops was Juneau. Juneau is unique among US state capitals in that there are no roads connecting the city to the rest of the state or to the contiguous United States.  It is larger than the state of Delaware. As of the 2020 census, Juneau had a population of 32, 255. From May to September, the city experiences a daily influx of 21,000 people from cruise ships. Niki and I were two of those.


I bought the souvenir photo.

Directly south of downtown Juneau, the Goldbelt tram ascends 3,819 feet up Mount Roberts. It offers views of the city below. We took the tram. It was worth the cost.

Goldbelt tram

View from up top

American Bald Eagle (in captivity)

I bought another souvenir photo.

My excursion in Juneau was to a sled dog camp, via a helicoptor. Niki went to visit a glacier. We had time to walk around the city when we got back from our excursions. They had a neat Russian gift store  (House of Russia) where I bought cat matryoshka nesting dolls ($100). Seemed like a lot of money to spend at the time. But I love them.


Stacking kitties

No comments: