29 May 2015

The Big Five: Lion

The lion is the most significant animal in Kruger National Park and one of the Big Five. It is estimated that there are 1500 to 2000 lions in the park. They are vital to the ecosystem. Lions balance large herbivore numbers and help to prevent overgrazing. Lions are also victims of poaching and their numbers have declined in the 10 plus years since I visited Kruger. Environmental and human factors are also contributing to the decline. 


Lions

They weren't going to move.

Not a care in the world

On the move

When I was in Kruger in 2015, I/we saw lions a few times. We saw them during daylight hours as well as on a night drive. Of course, the pictures from the night drive didn't turn out great. Overall, my pictures from the Lion Park and Farm Inn game reserve were much better, but these lions were the only free-roaming ones.

Intense eyes
Lions on the night drive
Big mouth

--------------------------------------
Post created 15 July 2026
--------------------------------------