When I signed up for the 9-day tour of the Highlands with Rabbies, I had two choices for accommodations: hotel or bed and breakfast. I chose the latter. Not only are B&B's cheaper, but they are more personal. I'm not sure why I was booked into a hotel in Kirkwall (Orkney) for two nights.
Alltavona Guest House (2 nights in Oban)
Braeside Guest House (1 night in Inverness)
For the first and last nights of my trip I stayed in Edinburgh. I chose a youth hostel (the CoDE) on the Royal Mile (in Parliament Square), near the Adam Smith statue. It was a sleeping pod (capsule), with shared bathrooms and other spaces. A hostel was a new experience for me, though it was similar to the City Hub, where Lara and I stayed last year in Reykjavik.
The CoDE was inside a 19th century former courthouse and jail in the heart of Edinburgh's Old Town. Besides price, I chose it for its location; it was close to the castle. I was attending the Military Tattoo (in the castle) and didn't want to have to walk far after the performance. My room (all female) had eight sleeping pods. I had a top bunk on the first night, a bottom bunk on the last night. All in all, it was a pleasant place to stay. The pod offered privacy, the bed was comfy, and the place was quiet. And, did I mention, convenient?















