22 September 2026

Eating in the Highlands

The food in the Highlands was decent. I didn't know what langoustines were before this trip. Now, they're one of my favorite foods. Langoustines are crustaceans, smaller than lobsters but bigger than shrimp. I had them on sandwiches (subs). They were fresh like the rest of the seafood. Unfortunately, I don't think I can get them (easily) in the US. They're only caught in the North Atlantic on the European side.  

Langoustine sub

Seafood sub, with langoustines

I had a variety of meals, including pizza a couple of times (so-so). Sometimes, I ate with others; sometimes, by myself. In Inverness, I purchased my meal from the grocery store. I was disappointed that I didn't get to try haggis. None of the B&Bs offered it. I'm told the hotels did. I had ice cream several times. Ice cream is good everywhere!

Pork belly
Spicy pasta

Food was generally expensive, even more so than Iceland. Fortunately, you didn't have to tip, though I left a big tip (per their suggestion) when I had dinner from my friends from Virginia Tech, who had relocated to Skye (in retirement). I don't know why Americans think our tipping culture is worth pushing on the rest of the world. It's so out of hand.

Orkney ice cream