Thursday, September 26, 2024

Beartooth Highway

July 1997 -- Beartooth Highway did not disappoint. I drove the 68-mile road during my 1997 whirlwind tour of the West.  My dog Sam was my travel companion. I was able to take her a few places for walking, but dogs were generally not allowed on trails. 


The most beautiful drive in America

I still have my 1994 Ford Ranger.

Beartooth Highway was once called "the most beautiful roadway in America" by late CBS News correspondent Charles Kuralt. The road goes from Red Lodge to Cooke City, Montana and traces a series of steep zigzags and switchbacks, along the Montana-Wyoming border to the 10,947-foot-high Beartooth Pass in Wyoming. The Beartooth Mountains have 20 peaks over 12,000 feet in elevation. The approximate elevation rise is 5747 feet in 12 miles. Wow! 


68-mile road from Red Lodge to Cooke City, MT

The pass is only open for about 5 months out of the year.

The highway officially opened June 14, 1936.
The road is a section of US Route 214.

No comments: