Saturday, August 03, 2024

Palace of Holyroodhouse

July 2024 -- After touring Edinburgh Castle, I boarded a hop-on, hop-off bus. I enjoyed the drive through the city, learning about various places I might want to visit. I got off at the bottom end of the Royal Mile. I bought a ticket to tour the Holyrood Palace or Holyroodhouse, the official residence of the British Monarch in Scotland. The Monarch spends one week at the palace each summer. Fortunately, I wasn't there during "Royal Week" so I was able to tour the palace, abbey, and park. I took a guided tour, with a headset. You weren't allowed to taking any pictures inside.

Palace of Holyroodhouse

The fountain located in the palace yard was based on the design of the fountain built for James V at Linlithgow Palace. It is a 19th century replica of a 17th century fountain.


The fountain

The Quadrangle

Holyrood Abbey is a ruined abbey. It was founded in 1128. During the 15th century, the guesthouse of the abbey was developed into a royal residence. The abbey church was used as a parish church until the 17th century and has been ruined since the 18th century. The word Holyrood is equivalent to "Holy Cross."


Ruins of Holyrood Abbey

Holyrood Palace is surrounded by 10 acres of gardens. Arthur's seat is in view of Holyrood Palace. I didn't have time to climb it. It is an extinct volcano that is the main peak of the group of hills in Edinburgh. It is know for its panoramic views of the city and beyond. There are many legends surrounding Arthur's Seat, including that it was one of the locations of Camelot, the castle and court of King Arthur. The hill rises to a height of 822 feet. Maybe, next time.


Palace Gardens

Arthur's Seat

No comments: