Tuesday, August 20, 2024

The Kelpies

July 2024 -- The Kelpies are one of the places I visited instead of the Highlands, due to Covid. They are one of the most popular tourist attractions in Scotland. The Kelpies are a pair of large horse head sculptures located near Falkirk. I hired a taxi to take me there.  


Duke (L) and Baron (R)

The two metal sculptures are named Baron and Duke. They are based on two real Clydesdale horses. They represent the heavy horses that pulled boats and cargo along the towpaths of the Clyde & Forth and Union Canals. They are the largest equine sculptures in the world. They were unveiled in 2014.



In Scottish mythology, Kelpies are shape-changing aquatic spirits. The name may derive from the Gaelic for heifer or colt.  Kelpies are said to haunt rivers and steams, usually in the shape of a horse. There are many legends associated with the Kelpies.
 

The Kelpies are located near the canal.

I walked the 4.8 miles from the Kelpies to the Falkirk Wheel. It probably wasn't the wisest choice I've ever made, as I was still recovering from Covid. But I did it. The walk was entirely along the Clyde & Forth Canal. The first half of the walk went through an industrial area and wasn't very picturesque. There was a lot of trash. The second part of the walk was much cleaner and more pictures.


Along the Canal

No comments: