Saturday, August 03, 2024

The Royal Mile

July 2024 -- Before I got Covid, I was able to tour Edinburgh, for a day. A day in a city is usually enough for me, though I have to admit I could have used more time in this splendid city. I had taken an early morning train from Northallerton and arrived at the Waverly train station around 9 am. After finding a place to stow my luggage for the day, I set out to tour the capitol of Scotland. Fortunately, Waverly Station was near the Royal Mile. The Royal Mile runs through the heart of Edinburgh's Old Town, connecting Edinburgh Castle with the Palace of Holyroodhouse.

Scottish bagpiper

Edinburg Castle stands high perched on Castle Rock. The castle's strategic advantage is obvious, though it suffered many sieges during its 1,100 year history. It goes without saying that Edinburgh Castle played a prominent role in Scottish history. Edinburgh Castle was home to Scottish kings and queens for many centuries. Like many castles, it has served many functions over the years. 

Celtic Cross

No comments: