Sunday, September 01, 2019

Tasty Belgium

Belgium is known for many tasty foods (and drink), including beer, waffles, chocolate, and fries. I learned that "French" fries may have been invented in Belgium and not France. The Belgians claim that American soldiers misnamed Belgium fries "French fries" when they came to Belgium at the end of WWI (because they were speaking French there). The Belgians dip their fries (frites) in a variety of sauces. I prefer mayonnaise. 

While I was in Belgium I vowed to have a waffle every day. I only missed one day. Waffles in Belgium are not for breakfast. They are a dessert, served with fruit or ice cream or other tasty morsels. They were sooooo good! Belgium chocolate is well-known, too. The praline is an invention of the Belgium chocolate industry. I didn't sample much chocolate (I prefer simple milk chocolate), but I was fascinated by all the different things they made out of chocolate.  Lots of beer is brewed in Belgium; but I do not drink beer. The cuberdon is a cone shaped Belgium candy, also known as a "nose." It was tasty.


Always waffles

Cuberdons for sale

No comments: