Thursday, August 24, 2023

Thundering Noise

August 2023 -- Other than local places, there isn't a place I've been to more than Niagara Falls. My first trip was in 1990 with my Mom. I brought a group of farmers there, during an out-state-state bus tour. I don't remember what year. In 2005, I visited Niagara Falls when I was in Buffalo for the NACAA meeting. I took my niece in 2006. My last visit was last year (2023) on the way back from Ontario to speak at some goat clinics. 

Niagara Falls skyline

I've done the Maid of the Mist boat ride a couple of times. Getting close to the falls was/is always an amazing experience -- and a wet one! I have gone behind the falls once or twice. I have been up in the Skylon Tower to take in the views. The site of the falls never ceases to awe me. 


Horseshoe Falls

Niagara Falls is a group of three water falls at the southern end of the Niagara Gorge, spanning the border between Ontario and New York. The largest of the three is Horseshoe falls. It lies on the international border between Canada and the US. The smaller American Falls and even smaller Bridal Veil Falls lie within the US.  

Over the years, Niagara Falls has attracted many daredevils and publicity seekers. People have also accidentally fallen over the falls. Some have tried to commit suicide. Some have survived. The most recent incident was in 2019 when a man jumped into the river above Horseshoe Falls. He survived. My niece and I went on a VR-style "ride" which simulated going over the falls and floating down the river in a barrel. It was cool. We did it twice.


The most powerful waterfall in North America


In 1969, the American Falls were drained. Two dead bodies and millions of coins were found.  Rainbow Bridge is a steel arch bridge that connects Niagara Falls, Canada with Niagara Falls, New York. It replaced Honeymoon Bridge which collapsed in 1938 due to an ice jam. The traffic across Rainbow Bridge it was too backed up to travel it last year. I chose a different route to return to the US.


Rainbow Bridge
American Falls

Niagara Falls is New York's largest generator of electricity. Nikola Tesla designed the first hydroelectric power plant at Niagara Falls. There is a statue of him near the falls.


Power Station

There is wreckage of a ship (scow) in the Niagara River not far from the brink of Horseshoe Falls. It has been there for more than a century. Two men were rescued from the vessel which had broke loose from a boat. I didn't see it until I visited the last time. I had never walked up the river until last year.


Wreckage

Walkway

Niagara River

Floral showcase

No comments: