South Africa has a storied land history. Indigenous peoples lost their land due to European colonialism. During Apartheid, black South Africans were forbidden from owning land. When Apartheid ended, land reform was initiated. But correcting injustices associated with land is always difficult. I saw that in former Communist countries. I saw that in South Africa.
Idle land
We visited a land area previously farmed by white South Africans. The land was given back to black South Africans. A once productive farm that had provided jobs, homes, and schools to blacks became largely idle. I'm not saying things were better during Apartheid, far from it, but it does little good to give land to people if they don't know how to farm it -- or don't want to. The same thing happened in former Communist countries. Agricultural productivity plummeted.
Broken down
Besides the garden, cattle were being raised. The dairy had long since been abandoned. The farm must have previously raised sheep because we were told it was where a lot of the research pertaining to the FAMACHA© system had been done.
--------------------------------------
Post created 11 July 2026
Post created 11 July 2026
---------------------------------------












