According to AI, there are approximately 147 mammal, 500 bird, 114 reptile, 34 amphibian, and 336 trees species in South Africa's
Kruger National Park. I only saw a small percentage of them during my 2015 visit. Besides the
Big Five (lion, leopard, rhino, elephant, and buffalo), I/we were lucky enough to see hippos (far away), zebras, giraffes, monkeys, crocodiles, warthogs, and many species of antelope. The monkeys came into our compound. There was a rhino trail near our compound. I/we saw the rest on game drives. In addition to driving around in our own van, I went on a morning and night drive.
Vervet MonkeyHippos
My picture-taking ability was severely hampered by being in the backseat of the van. It always annoyed me that no one ever offered to switch seats so I could get a better view and opportunity to get good pictures. It's not as if you're going to get out of the vehicle to take pictures. I did get some good pictures. I enhanced some of the pictures with editing.
Waterbucks
Zebras
CrocodilesTwo zebras are better than one.
Cape Glassy Starling
Southern yellow-billed hornbill
------------------------------------
Post created 11 July 2026
------------------------------------