07 October 2026

Coopers Rock

Coopers Rock State Forest is a 12,747-acre recreational area in West Virginia. Its overlook offers spectacular views of the Cheat River Gorge, 1200 feet below. The place gets its name from a fugitive who hid out there (he was a cooper by trade). Much of Coopers Rock was developed by the Civilian Conservations Corps (CCC).

Entrance sign

Go left to get to the overlook

Ty and I went to Coopers Rock on a beautiful fall day. It took us about two hours to get there. Traveling west is usually pleasant, even on the interstates. I stopped a few times along the way to let Ty pee and stretch his legs. I got refreshments. We arrived about midday. My first stop was the visitor's center.

Main overlook
Cheat River Gorge
Ty at the overlook
Etched in stone
Coopers Rock Overlook
Sweeping across the gorge
1200 feet above the gorge

The iconic West Virginia swing
Almost Heaven West Virginia

Underneath the overlook, there is a network of massive sandstone cliffs, boulder fields, narrow crevices, and small cave-like rock shelters. Not sure what trail I was on (they weren't well marked), but we explored one of the "rock cities." We had the area to ourselves.


That's a big rock!

Layers of stone

A cave

Geology over time
Me and Ty
Looks like some kind of animal

The most scenic area in Coopers Rock National Forest may have been the reservoir. I was disappointed that my foot pain prohibited me from hiking the Underlook and Raven Rock trails. I tried, but determined if wouldn't be good for my feet, especially my right foot. I might have fallen. So, I looked for a a hike that would be more permissible with my Plantar fasciitis. The Reservoir loop fit the bill. It was a 0.7 mile loop that encircled the reservoir. We met a botanist along the way.


Quiet and secluded 
2 to 3 acre reservoir

Just about every place along the loop offered spectacular views of the reservoir. Between the trees, grasses, water, and reflections, the colors were an absolute treat for the eyes. In another week or so, the reservoir would be even more breath-taking. I allowed Ty a quick dip into the water. He appreciated it.

So much vegetation
Swimmers
The resident fish
Vibrant colors
The dock
Up-close with a leaf

Reservoir Loop Trail
Ty at the reservoir