06 September 2026

Sheep in Scotland

For the last several years, I have visited countries with a lot of sheep. I always say that sheep live in the prettiest parts of the world (goats, not so much). The Highlands were no exception. There were sheep everywhere. According to government statistics, there are about 6.5 million sheep in Scotland. That includes ewes and lambs. There are more sheep than people -- always a good thing. But since I was on a group tour, I wasn't able to get many good pictures of sheep. I had to take pictures when I had the chance, no stopping for sheep shots. I also didn't use my digital SLR much. Cell phone cameras still aren't great at zooming. The sheep aren't usually too close to you, so the images get grainy.

Blackface sheep
Scotch Mule
Difference of opinion
On the move
Iona Wool

Sheep in Scotland have an interesting history. While they arrived in Scotland during the Neolithic period (4100 to 2500 BC), cattle were more important to the culture and economy, especially in the Highlands. It wasn't until the Highland Clearances that sheep became more prevalent, led by the introduction of new more productive breeds: Cheviot and Scottish Blackface. Farmers were forcibly removed from their lands so sheep could take their place, as there was more money to be made in wool (than people). A cashier at one of the shops told me that Highlanders don't like sheep much. I get it. 

Scottish Blackface at Fairy Glen
Texels grazing near Duart Castle

The North Ronaldsay is an interesting breed of sheep, an ancient breed from North Ronaldsay, the northern most island of Orkney. The breed evolved to subsist almost entirely on seaweed. This diet resulted in changes to their digestive systems, including more efficient extraction of copper. We've since learned learned that small amounts of seaweed added to the diets of ruminants can reduce methane emissions. We didn't see any North Ronaldsay sheep in our travels (we didn't go to North Ronaldsay), but there were a few at the Kirbuster Farm Museum in Orkney


North Ronaldsay:  seaweed-eating sheep
Badger Face Welsh Mountain sheep

There is a Sheep & Trees initiative in Scotland to try to get sheep farmers to plant trees on their upland acres. The sheep can graze the woodland area once the trees are mature enough (usually after about 10 years).  The reforestation of Scotland has merit (the hills are bare), but it shouldn't be done at the expense of sheep farming (IMO). We all know what happens to forests without grazing (and other management) -- burn baby burn. There are other trade-offs, too.  Do both:  sheep + trees.


For my collection: pottery from Quirky Clay

Book for my coffee table.