The castle in Inverness overlooks the Ness River. A succession of castles has occupied the site since 1057. The current red sandstone structure was completed in 1836. It was built on the site of the original castle. The castle underwent significant repairs and renovations from 2022 to early 2026. I ate at the castle but did not tour it. I didn't have time. It wasn't just a tour, it was an interactive experience through Highland history and culture. I probably would have enjoyed it, though I prefer less-modern castles.
Inverness Castle, c. 1836
The castle was quite picturesque due to its well-maintained gardens with different colored flowers. There were also pieces of art in the foreground of the castle that created some interesting photo opps.
In front of the castle is a statue of Flora McDonald. By her side is a Border Collie (Flossy), though there is no evidence that she owned a dog. Flora was a Jacobite who helped Bonnie Prince Charles escape after his defeat at Culloden. She helped him evade capture by disguising him as an Irish maid "Betty Burk" and sailing with him to the Isle of Skye. Her actions led to her capture and imprisonment at the Tower of London. She was eventually released and emigrated to North Carolina in 1774.








