Besides its historic abbey, Iona is known for its beaches. After getting off the ferry, I took the advice of our tour guide/driver (Dave) and walked to the Bay at the Back of the Ocean. I took the more scenic route. The beach was on the west side of the island. It was rocky, with lots of seaweed. The white sand beaches were obviously located elsewhere. I would have liked more time to have seen them, too.
Me at the beach
More seaweed
Surf
One of the things the Iona beaches are known for is their brightly colored pebbles (stones). The different colors are the result of the island's unique and ancient mix of contrasting rock types that get worn down and polished by the sea. I took a few stones home as souvenirs. I especially liked the orange and white speckled stones. One of my favorite things to do on a beach is to see what I can find, to see what mother nature has decided to share with beachcombers.










