Friday, September 27, 2024

Go West, Young Lady

July 1997 -- It was 1997.  I was anxious to go back out west. It had been almost 10 years since I graduated from Montana State University. But I didn't have anyone to travel with. I was a single girl. 35 years old. I shouldn't travel alone. Somebody said, "Take your dog!"  So, I did. I took Sam. Sam was a German Shepherd/Terrier mix that I got from the shelter in 1989. She was the first "thing" I got when I bought my first house! At the time of our trip, she was 8. 

My ~7,000 mile journey

My travel companion, Sam

No speed limit is a foreign concept to an Easterner

Sam and I drove as far west as Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada. We put about 7000 miles on my 1994 Ford Ranger (which I still have). Sam proved to be a great travel companion. The trip was extra special since I lost Sam less than a year later. Sam and I saw so many beautiful and interesting places. We stopped to see friends and relatives along the way. It was the trip of a lifetime. One I will never forget. One I have never forgotten.  And, Sam?  I could never forget her.


Sam in Montana

Sam in North Dakota

It was the last time I drove across most or all of the country (East to West and West to East). After 1997, I flew to my destinations, over most of the flyover states. That's good and bad. There's nothing like a road trip.

No comments: