Monday, April 01, 2024

Two years

April 1, 2022. It's been two years since I retired, after almost 34 years with the University of Maryland. I began my career with University of Maryland Extension (then Maryland Cooperative Extension Service) on July 18, 1988. I remember my first day. I put a computer desk together.

Combine my Maryland career with the almost three years I worked for the West Virginia Department of Agriculture and I had a thirty-six year career doing agricultural extension work, mostly small ruminants, but also farm management.

Regrets about retiring?  None. I've enjoyed my retirement so far. I stay busy. I do webinars and speaking engagements. I do the web site and extension coordination for the American Consortium for Small Ruminant Parasite Control. I currently have a writing assignment with the American Sheep Industry Association. I'm part of a few grants with universities. I try to stay connected with my colleagues at WMREC. 

In Northern Ireland with Lara

I expanded my farm. I now have meat rabbits, trios of New Zealand Red, New Zealand White, and Silver Fox. I got a few dwarf goats. Both the rabbits and goats are confined to the garage. I still have to figure out the marketing of the rabbits. I hope to sell breeding animals from each litter (that's why I opted to go with pedigree rabbits), but I need to secure a meat market for the rest of the litters.

The 2023 lambing season was the easiest ever, didn't have to pull any lambs. No lambs were lost at birth or early on, though I lost two lambs around weaning age. I bred 37 ewes for the 2024 lambing season, using the same two rams. This year's lambing has had a few more ups and down, but there are plenty of healthy lambs bouncing around the place. This year I have to invest in a new Katahdin ram.

I've visited a lot of local places since retiring (and Covid). I've taken up hiking. Easy hikes, so far. Ty is a great companion for these activities. There are many more places I want to visit and/or hike. Some of my favorite places are the C&O Canal, Martin's Mill Covered Bridge State Park, Catoctin Mountain Park, and Gettysburg and Antietam National Military Parks. There's so much to see and do in this four state area -- so much history and natural beauty. And, all close by.

I made my first international trips since retirement (and Covid). In August of last year, I was invited to speak at some goat hoof care clinics in Ontario, Canada. I spoke at two locations. I did a little touring while I was there and stopped at Niagara Falls on the way home. It was a great trip. In September, Lara and I spent almost two weeks in Ireland (Republic of and Northern). I footed most of the bill. So many memories and highlights. This year, I'll be going to England (Yorkshire Dales) and Scotland. I'm hoping to take at least one international trip per year. Iceland, Newfoundland, and Romania are on the short list. 

At the canal with Ty

I'm able to spend more time with Mom. While she has her caregivers from 10 am to 1 pm (or 12). I can take her places in the afternoon or on the weekends. I am able to take her to visit her friends and old acquaintances. She's still going strong at 94. I organized a birthday celebration for her this year.

Cash entered my life on June 24, 2023. I had to go to Ohio to get him. Greg went along with me. Cash was 12 weeks old when I got him. I had always wanted a Maine Coon cat, orange tabby, of course. I have thoroughly enjoyed his first year of life. Besides being a regal-looking cat, he is the sweetest boy. He was costly, but worth every penny I spent. Sadly, I recently lost my "free" cat, Crissy. I miss her so such. Girl animals are different. All my dogs/cats are now male. I might try to find another female orange tabby (kitten), rescue one in honor of Crissy. Crissy came from the shelter in Hagerstown.

Financially, I'm in good shape. No worries. I don't have an expensive way of living. Mostly I spend extra money eating out, buying techie-things,  and taking care of my cats. Travel is paid for by my side jobs.

No comments: