Friday, April 09, 2021

Second shot

I got my second covid vaccine yesterday. My arm is a little sore. I will be considered fully vaccinated on April 22. My mom was fully vaccinated about a month ago. My sister gets her second shot today. It will be good to resume some normal activity. At least shopping and eating out. The movies? We can visit others who have been vaccinated.  I'd like to take a vacation this summer. Drive to Maine. The coast and interior (Mt. Katahdin). Planning to take Mom.

It's been a little over a year since Covid rocked our world. So many senseless deaths and illnesses. Don't understand why people refuse to wear masks and social distance. I can understand a little of the apprehension about the vaccines, but I still think it's the right thing to do, for yourself and for public health. Between politics and the media, especially social media, the US had no hope of properly managing this pandemic.

It's been a year of teleworking. I haven't been to my office in ages. No reason to. Research won't get underway until mid June. I'll probably start going some once lambing is stabilized. I miss seeing my colleagues. Not sure if they miss me.

I will reconsider retirement again at the end of the year. In my mind, I'm leaning towards it. By 2021, I think life will be mostly normal, maybe different, but mostly normal. Mostly, I want to be able to travel  and get out and about in the community. I don't mind wearing a mask. I've never liked crowds (super spreading events).

I'm anxious to get my remodeling done. I'm planning to have the inside of the house painted, with new trim and new doors. I want each of  my closets redesigned, as well as the pantry. The hall bathroom will be remodeled with a new vanity and mirror. I'd like to get a new bath tub. I may look into it.

I'm most excited about having part of the deck enclosed. A four season sun room.  The cats will love it. I'll probably sleep out there sometimes. Eventually, I'd like to have the aluminum siding on the house replaced. I should probably get an estimate. Not sure when I'll need a new roof. If I grow old in my house, I tease that I will have an elevator installed.

I'm planning to get some new furniture, too. I'm favoring This End Up. That was the first furniture I ever bought. I still have it. Still use the coffee and end tables. This time I'm going to opt for a fancier design. Takes two months to get the furniture. They make it on order. I've been waiting for a sale, but they haven't had any in a long time. I plan to get a couch, chair, ottoman, coffee table, end table, and TV stand.

Still no new puppy. I miss Zak. He was such a good boy. I miss having a dog. I love my cats, but they're not the same as a dog. I know someone who will have some Australian Shepherd litters in May. Maybe I can get a pup in July.

Oliver is now 11 months old. He's grown into a big handsome tabby. Longish hair like Max. In fact, he has Max's spirit. Must be the tail. Crissy tolerates him. I bought her some cardboard houses to hide in when he gets too rambunctious. I guess Oliver will eventually calm down. He reminds me of Sly, who was like a bull in a china closet. She didn't start to calm down until she was about 6, then was sadly killed by a car.

In a few days, it will be two years since Dad passed. I miss him a lot. Mom has adjusted to life without him. I guess I have, too. What choice do we have?  I talk to him almost every day.

No comments: