Friday, July 03, 2020

End of Life

Zak is almost 15 and a half years old. For his size, that is over 100 in people years. His aging started accelerating a year ago. First he had a bout with maggots. Don't know why he got them, but it took a while to get rid of them. They affected his mobility. A few months later, he was stricken with vestibular disease, also called old dog disease. He responded well to the meds (prednisone).

Towards the end of the year, I took him to the vet for an old dog exam. He was drinking a lot of water and experiencing anxiety. His bloodwork showed he had the beginning stages of kidney disease (failure). I started feeding him a special diet and giving him a renal supplement. No more meat and cheese. He needed a low protein diet. I continued to give  him a few non-prescription treats. He demanded it.

Still a beauty at 15+
All this time, his mobility has been worsening, especially in the last couple of months, even weeks. He started having intermittent bouts of diarrhea. I realized the anxiety was related to his bowel habits. Recently, he stopped eating the prescription dog food. He'll eat the renal treats sometimes. He'll hardly touch a supplement I bought to help with his joints. He has a hard time getting up. I help him up most of the time. He'll walk, but often just stands during our walks. Sometimes, I sit outside with him. Other times, I convince him to take a walk. He still enjoys being outside and sniffing its wonders. He still has to find the perfect place to pee or poo.

He occasionally has an accident, but that's okay. The floors of the house are covered with rugs, matts, and pads. There are paths for Zak to follow. He is reluctant to walk on the laminated floors, although he will do so gingerly. Zak now gets to eat whatever he wants. I switched him to Alpo canned dog food. I give him store-bought treats, leftover meat, and cheese slices. The prescription food is meant to prolong his life. With his declining mobility, he doesn't need to live longer. He needs to live a quality life for as long as he can.

Covid 19 has been good for Zak. It has allowed me to take better care of him. Zak is the last of the four animals I had for so many years. I made the painful decision to have McComb euthanized in the spring of 2017. I lost Max on the last day of last year (2019), another painful decision. Boone died unexpectedly in March.  I know Zak's time is probably nearing. I doubt he will pass on his own. I will have to make the decision. I know he will let me know when the time is right. I cry just thinking about it.

No comments: