Sunday, June 21, 2020

Oliver

I had decided I would get another cat after Max died on the last day of 2019. I wanted a kitten. I figured spring would be a good time to visit the local animal shelter. They would be busting out the seams with kittens. I had adopted Crissy there on Free Cat Fridays. Then, Covid 19 hit. I wasn't going to the shelter.

A week or so ago I saw a Facebook post by a childhood friend (Jennifer). She had four kittens she was trying to find homes for. One was an orange tabby. I asked if it was still available. It was. It was a boy. Most orange kitties are male. I made arrangements to get him.

He's a cutie!

The kittens were very young. Their mother had been killed by one of the farm dogs. After that happened, the kittens were hand fed. After posting on Facebook, Jennifer was able to find homes for all of the kittens, four total. Jennifer's farm is about two and a half hours away. I was originally going to drive there, but then Jennifer's mom offered to meet me half-way. We met in Clarksville in a parking lot next to the  fire hall. Jennifer's mom seemed reluctant to give the kitten up, but she assured me she was just the foster mom. She didn't want any more pets. She could enjoy her kids' pets.

I decided to name the new kitten Oliver after Jennifer had texted me a picture of him. I don't know why I decided on that name. Of course, I don't know why I named Max Max. The name just came to me.  Same with Oliver. Oliver it is. He's about six weeks old.

Oliver is as little a kitten as Zak was a puppy. He has a squishy pig as a toy. Of course, he does. He was born on a hog farm. He's already good at using the litter box. He doesn't mind being put in the cat carrier. He eats everything I give him: Fancy Feast kitten food, biscuits, and evaporated milk. He's playful, sweet, and loving.  Oliver's still very much a baby. When he's on my lap, he snuggles like he's nursing his mom and cuddling with his siblings. He stole my heart instantaneously.

Crissy's not happy. She's hiding and hissing. I hope she comes around. Max didn't like her at first either. Rex didn't like Max, but he grew to tolerate him. Of course, Max and Zak became best friends. Max and Crissy played together and often shared the bed.

No comments: