06 June 2011

Spearfish Canyon

One of the things I liked about my career was the places I got to visit. I often attended meetings or conferences that met in scenic or interesting places. In 2011, the NCERA-213 group held its annual meeting in Spearfish, South Dakota. The Spearfish Canyon Lodge, our meeting place, was located in Spearfish Canyon, a deep scenic gorge in the Blackhills. 


NCERA-213 group

Spearfish Canyon Lodge

I recall it was an in-and-out drive through the canyon to get to the lodge. The drive was spectacular. The gorge was narrow, the roads were windy, and you were surrounded by huge limestone cliffs the whole time. The lodge was in the middle of  nowhere. I remember my colleagues standing outside the lodge trying to get cell phone reception. 

Framed

In the Blackhills

Nature area
Peaks

Waterfall

Limestone cliffs
Lowland
Flowering shrub in the foreground
Another view of waterfall

Two peaks

-------------------------------------------
Post created 11 Oct 2026
--------------------------------------------