05 June 2011

Bear Country USA

I went to Bear Country USA in 1985 when I went out west for the first time (with Rachael P., RIP). I liked it so much I went back for a second time in 2011, when I had a meeting in nearby Spearfish Canyon. Bear Country USA is located in the Blackhills of South Dakota. It is a drive-through wildlife park that features bears. Of course. Baby bears! Lots of baby bears.

Bear Country USA, est. 1972
Three little bears
Two big bears
A bear bath
Bear nap
Bear bench
Bear teeth
Bear play
Is it a she or he bear?

Favorite picture from 1985 visit

The park has other North American wildlife, e.g., elk

Bear Country USA has been embroiled in a few controversies over the years. In today's world, obviously they are always going to be a target of animal rights groups, who don't like these sorts of places. I love these sorts of places. They play important roles in conservation and education. The people who protest these places have no more (or less morals) than the people running them. So long as the animals are well cared for, I'm okay. Both times I visited, the animals looked fine. People need to understand that animals get sick, sometimes they die, and not all thrive regardless of care. We have regulations in place to protect the animals. 

-------------------------------------------
Post created 11 Oct 2026
-------------------------------------------