Tuesday, September 24, 2024

An unexpected visitor

A few weeks ago, a lady flagged me down in front of my property. She had found an injured kitten and wanted to know if it was mine or a neighbor's.  I told her I didn't know anything about the kitten. It was a female Calico, very friendly. She ended up taking it home. I would have rescued it if she hadn't. 

A week or so later, I started seeing a similar sized kitten (an orange tabby) going back and forth across the road, near the intersection of Rockdale and Hicksville Road. I didn't want the kitten to get hit by a car. It seemed inevitable. I stopped a few times when I saw the kitten. The kitten was interested in me (meowed), but I couldn't get close to it. I talked to a neighbor about the kitten. Next thing you know, he shows up at my house with the kitten in a box trap. He had trapped it with a can of Nine-Lives. 

I put the frightened kitten in a pen in the basement with bowls of food and water, blankets, toys, and a litter box. I started trying to tame him. He warmed up to me in a day or two, but was very timid. Yes, it's a boy. Seventy-five percent of orange tabbies are male. I named the kitten K.C., short for kitty cat.  I bring the kitten to my mom's house in the evenings. He spends the entire evenings on my lap. He purrs a lot and makes lots of biscuits.

K.C. is very sweet, but still quite timid. I took him to the vet for blood testing, shots, and nail clipping. He is a very healthy kitten, 5 to 6 months old. I mentioned him to a friend of mine. Her 11 year old son has been wanting a dog or cat, so she decided she'd take the kitten. I will take him to their place (in Virginia) on October 11. It's not for a few more weeks, so I'll continue to be K.C.'s foster mother. I'll miss him, but decided not to keep him since I've already got two (male) cats and a rambunctious dog. He'll have a good home and won't have to adjust to other pets.

No comments: