Monday, September 16, 2024

The Ocean Path

September 2024 -- The Ocean Path Trail is one of the most popular trails at Acadia National Park. It is a 4.5 mile out and back hike. It starts at Sand Beach and ends at Otter Point. You pass Thunder Hole and Otter Cliff on the way. Ty and I did the hike. It took us several hours. It was a good hike. I'm glad we did it. 


The Ocean Path (Sand Beach to Otter Point)

Ty and I on the trail
Sand Beach in the distance

Ty waiting patiently while I took pictures.

Much of the path was flat and easy and followed the road. Some of the path was more narrow, rocky, and steep, especially as you got closer to Otter Cliffs. Along the path, there were spectacular views of the ocean, the kind Maine is famous for. There were often paths or steps down to the cliffs, so you could get a closer look or take unobstructed pictures. Sometimes I'd tie Ty to a tree so I could venture farther down for a picture. He didn't seem to mind. Other times I brought him with me. Walking on the rocks didn't seem to scare him (unless it was too steep; me, too).

Beautiful colors

Ty enjoying the view

Relaxing by the sea
The trail

More of the trail

Otter Cliff was about 0.7 miles past Thunder Hole. At the time, I didn't realize we needed to continue hiking to reach Otter Point. Otter Cliffs and Otter Point are two different spots on the Ocean Path. Oh, well, at least we got to the first one. The path had gotten much harder to navigate at this point. 





No comments: