Friday, September 15, 2023

Ontario Goats

August 2023 -- I spoke at two goat hoof clinics in Ontario (Canada). One was in southwestern Ontario (Listowel). I stayed in North Perth. The other was in Central Ontario (Millbrook). I stayed in Peterborough. My host was Ontario Goat. Most of the goat producers at the southwestern clinic were large dairy farms. Mennonite farms. In Central Ontario, the producers had smaller more diverse farms, more meat and non-commercial. I enjoyed interacting with both groups. 



Hoof trimming demonstration

While in Listowel, I visited a large goat dairy. Mennonite. They had a least 350 does. I don't remember the exact number.  Like almost all commercial goat dairies, the goats were completely confined. Also, like most commercial goat dairies, almost all the does were Sannen. 

Dairy Goat farm
Total confinement

Hoof trimming was done every 3 months. While doing these clinics, I learned that hoof care in dairy goats is different from meat goats. Meat goats are mostly free range (on pasture). Dairy goats are mostly confinement (deep bedded). In meat (and other) goats it's more about preventing disease. With dairy goats, it's more soundness. More frequent hoof trimming of dairy goats is necessary not only because housing promotes hoof growth, but because overgrown hooves can cause skeletal and structural problems.


All Saanen does
Kid pen
Lac-Tek feeder 

Replacement does

My host lived in Central Ontario. She showed me her animals. She raised meat goats and horses. Most of her goats were purebred registered Boer goats. She obviously loved her goats and took good care of them, though she lacked good facilities. She made do with what she had.



Boer doe

Goats and horses

Beautiful orange tabby at the goat farm

She and her husband also had a business where they did carriage rides with horses:  Top Notch Horse Drawn Carriage Service. She showed me her horses. Magnificent draught horses.


Big baby


No comments: