Thursday, November 01, 2018

Lapins en France

October 2012 -- Who knew I'd see rabbits (lapins) on my sheep study tour, but I did. There was a rabbit research program at the INRA research facility in Toulouse, France. Europe-wise, France is one of the leading producers of rabbit meat, though the industry is in a state of decline probably due to animal welfare concerns. I didn't see lamb in the stores in France and Spain, but I saw rabbit. 



INRA rabbit research facility

Different buildings for different purposes

Does with litters

In France, rabbits are produced on a commercial scale and in backyard rabbitries. Modern rabbit production is very sophisticated. It has many similarities with modern pig production. In France, there is widescale use of artificial insemination, which allows wide use of quantitative genetic data. Does have many more litters than than they would in a typical backyard operation. I'm recalling at least 8 litters per year. Nursing is once per day (same as in the wild). Does are locked out of nest boxes at all other times. It sounded like drugs were frequently used in production on commercial farms. That wasn't (isn't) a good thing. I'm sure there is a growing demand for organic rabbit in Europe.


New Zealand x California

Feed cart

When I got back from France/Spain, I was very excited about rabbit production. I even wanted to do an extension program on rabbits. I raised rabbits as a kid, and I was interested in raising rabbits again. I've always liked rabbits. I was particularly interested in getting some of the Clerici (Italian) cages I saw at INRA. There was a commercial rabbitry in Ontario that was a dealer for the cages, but I was unable to get up with them. A farm in Ohio had some, but when I was scheduled to go there, Mom broke her hip (and wrist) and I had to cancel my trip.


Numbered cages

Clerici Italian cages

 It wasn't until 2023 that I took the plunge and started back into the rabbit business. KW Cages (in California) created a new cage (called nurture) that has similar features as the Clerici cages (though much larger and welfare oriented). I bought a couple. The rest of my cages are the standard design. I want to add a jumping shelf to each of them, but haven't gotten it done yet.


Rabbit at a store in either France or Spain

Rabbit is one of the healthiest meats known to mankind. Rabbits are one of the most efficient producers of protein. I don't understand why we don't eat more rabbit. Increasingly, rabbit is being fed to dogs and reptiles. What a waste, though I can't blame producers for developing this market. Demand for rabbit seems to be similar to lamb and goat:  ethnic. That's the hardest thing about my rabbit venture: finding a market. 

No comments: