Sunday, October 03, 2021

Welcome Ty

Ty joined the pet family on August 16. He was a week shy of 3 months. Now he's over 4 months old. He's a purebred Australian Shepherd. He's black and white with perfect symmetrical markings; 4 white paws and a "tuxedo" in front. He looks like a Border Collie to me. His mother, very protective looks like a Border Collie. 


I picked him out when he was 4 days old. He was from a large litter of 12. His tail is naturally docked (short). It is customary to dock the tails of Australian puppies. Having had several long hair pets reach old age, I like this practice.

Initially, the cats avoided him. They stared down at him from atop the cat tree or china closet. Oliver now likes to engage him. Crissy keeps her distance and will hiss and swing at him if he gets near. I keep him in the crate at night, so the cats can freely roam. Of course, he's already eaten the cat food several times.

Ty is a pretty good puppy, though his chewing has been problematic. He bit threw the cord of one of my mom's electric lift chairs. Too expensive to fix. He bit the iPhone cord. He shredded his brand new bed. He peed on my mom's rug several times, so I'm going to need to replace it.  $$$

He's a happy puppy.

I have a little fenced-in area in the backyard where I keep him when I'm not home. Eventually, I'll leave him in the whole back yard, as it is fenced with chain link. I take him with me whenever I can. He comes with me to Mom's house in the evenings. He's been to the office a few times. He accompanied Mom and I on a trip to Virginia to get some Katahdin ewes.

Ty is energetic like most stock dog pups. He's athletic. I'm hoping to get him into agility training.

My little pet family is now complete. My last pets (Rex, Max, and Zak) lived good long lives. I hope these do, too.

No comments: