Thursday, August 22, 2024

World of James Herriot

The Yorkshire Dales came alive to me when I read James Herriot's books.  I read them all when I was a kid and have re-read (as an adult) many of the stories as they've been published in new collections. Ever since I read the books I had wanted to visit the Yorkshire Dales and meet James Herriot. I never met James Herriot, but I have visited the Yorkshire Dales twice: in 2019 and 2024 and the World of James Herriot.  

A l l  t h i n g s   b r i g h t   a n d   b e a u t i f u l
A l l   c r e a t u r e s   g r e a t   a n d   s m a l l
A l l   t h i n g s   w i l d   a n d   w o n d e r f u l
T h e   L o r d   G o d   m a d e   t h e m   a l l


The sign outside the surgery in Thirsk.
Statue of James Herriot

James Alfred Wight, better known by his pen name James Herriot was a veterinary surgeon and author.  He practiced veterinary medicine in the Yorkshire Dales for almost 50 years. He is best known for writing a series of eight books set in the 1930-1950s. There have been several TV and film adaptions of his books.  


Candid shots of "Alfie"

Medicine cabinet and veterinary books

Can you imagine James, Siegfried, and Tristan sitting around the table?
Where James wrote his books.

I'm a big fan of the current All Creatures Great and Small series. It airs on PBS. So far, there have been four seasons. The last season ended with the birth of James' first child. He went "AWOL" to be present for the birth. Helen has a bigger role in the show than she did the books. I never watched the original series.


Pictures from the current TV show

Posing with the statue of James Herriot

The museum had lots of interactive stuff.

No comments: