Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Great sheep

July 2019 -- I visited the Great Yorkshire Show for the first time in 2019. I had never seen a show like it before. There were so many animals. So many shows. So many exhibits. When I visited again (for two days) in 2024, I knew what to expect, so the awe was lessened, but I still enjoyed it immensely. 


Overall Best in Show:  Dutch Spotted (happy winner!)

Texel champs
Now, let's flip them around

Judges
Champion carcass

Clun Forests

Teeswater

I had a better picture-taking opportunity in 2019. My digital SLR camera failed me in 2024. Almost all of my 2024 pictures are cell phone pictures. While cell phones take pretty good pictures nowadays, they're almost never as good as those taken with a real camera. Most of these are from my real camera.


Smile young man:  it's a sheep show!

Love this breed: North Country Cheviot

The Brits take picture-taking seriously.
Front and rear

Bleu du Maine

We only spent one day at the show in 2019. We got there in time for selection of Best in Show. The young handlers competition took place on the day we visited. For obvious reasons that offered a great opportunity for picture taking. There was also a costume contest. That brought back memories of when I entered my sheep in the "Pretty Animal Contest" at the Howard County Fair.

A PARADE OF BREEDS

Not sure of the breed

Another Teeswater

Ryeland: one of England's oldest breeds

Portland: a contributor to the Dorset breed

Greyface Dartmoor: a rare breed

North Country Cheviot
Kerry Hill

Texel:  #1 terminal sire breed

YOUNG HANDLERS COMPETITION


COSTUME CONTEST


No comments: