Monday, September 16, 2024

Maine Lobster

September 2024 -- Maine is synonymous with lobster. The state accounts for 90 percent of the US lobster supply. Lobstering is one of the most traditional industries in Maine, part of its history and culture. Lobstering is still a significant contributor to the economy, including an important aspect of the state's tourism industry. 



There are lobster pounds (restaurants) "everywhere" (at least where I was). While driving on the east side of Mount Desert Island, I stopped at Archie's Lobster on the waterfront of Bass Harbor. I ordered a lobster roll. There were tables outside by the bay. Ty was allowed to join me. I didn't share my lobster rol1 with him. He wouldn't have appreciated it. Despite having to watch me eat, he behaved well. It was his first time in a restaurant. There was something "totally Maine" about eating lobster by the water, with your dog at foot.


The bun was piled high with buttered lobster meat. 

I'd had lobster before (in Maine and Prince Edward Island), but it was the first time I had a lobster roll. A lobster roll is a dish native to New England and Atlantic Canada. It consists of lobster meat piled high on a grilled hotdog style bun. There are different fillings. I chose hot butter. Best of all, the lobster was fresh, caught by the owners of the restaurant.



Lobster is reason enough to go back to Maine. I think I prefer a lobster roll to eating a lobster, just like I prefer crab cakes and crab imperial to picking crabs.

No comments: