Monday, September 16, 2024

Corea fishing village

September 2024 -- Corea is a small fishing (lobstering) village near the Schoodic Peninsula. I headed there after visiting the Schoodic Peninsula. According to sources on the internet, Corea is the quintessential Maine fishing village. the "real" Maine, according to one source. While that may be true, I didn't find it very tourist-friendly (but I did like it). I love fishing villages. My dad would have, too. 


Working boats

Colorful lobster traps

25 to Life

Lobster traps

There wasn't any place to park to explore the town or harbor. All the signs said "private - do not enter." I understood. People live there. They don't want strangers invading their privacy. I ended up parking at the Grange and walking. Eventually, I found a place to pull in that offered great views of the harbor.  The town needs to have a place for tourists to park. Maybe they did and I missed it. It would be nice to have some interpretive signs about lobstering. 


I bought a souvenir buoy.

Lots of boats
From the dock

Lobstering gear

The ever-present Seagull

The Maine lobster season is year-round, but summer and fall are peak seasons. Lobsters are caught in traps, all hand-harvested by small day boats.  Global warming (lobsters are moving north to cooler waters) and government regulations (put in place to protect whales) are threatening the fragile lobster industry.

Four in a row
Bringing in the catch

The lobster population may be declining due to warmer weather.

No comments: