Thursday, August 15, 2024

Churchill War Rooms

When I first heard about the Churchill War Rooms, I couldn't wait to visit them, as I'm a big WWII buff. In 2019, it was crowded and I hadn't bought a ticket in advance, so it was a no-go. I booked my ticket in advance this year (2024) and was able to go. It was still crowded. 

The Churchill War Rooms are a historic underground complex which housed Britain's high command during World War II. They become active a week before Britain declared war on Germany. They remained operational throughout the war and were abandoned after the surrender of Japan. Margaret Thatcher was an admirer of Churchill and was instrumental in getting the war rooms open to the public in 1984. The Churchill Museum was opened later.


The war rooms were reinforced in December 1940 with a concrete slab (the "slab"), up to 3 meters thick. It is exposed for visitors to see.






The complex also includes the Churchill Museum, which showcases the life of British statesman Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965).

No comments: