Saturday, September 28, 2002

Footprints in the sand

September 2002 -- When Niki W. and I attended the National Small Farm Conference in Albuquerque, we took some extra time to travel around New Mexico. One of the places we visited was White Sands National Monument (now park), located in the south central part of the state.

White Sands National Park is one of the world's great wonders. It is completely surrounded by the White Sands Missile Range. Scary, huh? As national parks go, it's a big one, encompassing 145,762 acres. The park contains the world's largest gypsum dune field. I'd never been to a place with so much sand. White sand. I wrote my name in the sand. Probably didn't stay there long.


Footprints in the sand

Surreal

Wow, so big!
Leaving my mark

Shadows

Worldwide, most gypsum fields have been mined.

No comments: