Monday, August 12, 2024

York: a walled city

York is a walled city in northeast England that was founded by Romans. It also has a Viking past. I spent a day in York in 2019 on my way back to London (from Northallerton). We spent a few hours in York on my recent Yorkshire Dales "sheep safari." There is a lot to see in York and it is a very walkable city. I liked it better than London. Of course, it's a lot smaller. 



Lady bagpiper

One of York's best known landmarks is Clifford's Tower. It is the largest remaining part of York Castle, once the center of government for the north of England. The 11th-century timber tower sits on top of an earth mound. It was burned down in 1190, after York's Jewish community, some 150 strong, was besieged by a mob and committed mass suicide. The present 13th-century stone tower was probably used as a treasury and later as a prison.



York has, since Roman times, been defended by walls of one form or another. To this day, substantial portions of the walls remain, and York has more miles of intact wall than any other city in England. The original walls were built around 71 AD. In 2019, while walking along the wall, I stopped to take a picture with my cell phone. I reached into the front pocket of my hoodie and nothing was there. I had lost my cell phone! I retraced my steps, but could not find it. Eventually, I returned to a museum I had visited. It was in the lost and found. I had left it in the bathroom. Scary moments!


York is also a cathedral city. The York Minster is one of the world's most magnificent cathedrals. It is so big it is hard to take a picture of it that does it justice. You weren't allowed to take pictures inside the cathedral. We went to a short service inside.


We ate at the Royal Oak Pub in the city center. The building is believed to date from the 15th century. It was a pub by 1772. It was like other pubs; you had to order from the bar. We ate mostly at pubs. 


According to Wikipedia, "The Shambles is a historic street in York, England, featuring preserved medieval buildings, some dating back as far as the 14th century. The street is narrow, with many timber-framed buildings with jettied floors that overhang the street by several feet." I have to admit that I wasn't impressed with the Shambles either time I saw it. Maybe, if it was less crowded I'd feel differently.


The Shambles Market

There were many things to visit in York. In 2019, I got to York early (via train from Northallerton) so didn't have to wait in line to visit the Jorvik Viking Centre. The museum was like a Disney attraction. You rode small carriages through the building, seeing various life-size dioramas depicting Viking life. 

The Van Gogh Immersive Experience was near the Viking museum. I had never been to anything like it before (or since). I'm not a big art fan, but I like Van Gogh, so I really enjoyed it. You sit in a room, listening to soothing music, while pieces of artwork are displayed around you. There's no time limit on how long you stay.



I discovered a neat little Cat Gallery when I was in York in 2019. There was all sorts of cat art. It was a fun place for cat lovers. I didn't buy anything. Too hard to get breakables home. 


I missed my train to London.  I ended up taking a different train. The people at the train station were very sympathetic to the inexperienced solo American traveler. The train was very crowded, full of students. 

No comments: