Thursday, August 15, 2024

Reeth: the place by the stream

July 2024 -- The name Reeth comes from Old English. It means "the place by the stream." Reeth is a charming village located in Swaledale, in the north of the Yorkshires Dales National Park. The area is known for its iconic farm landscapes. It is where we stayed during our 2024 "Sheep Safari." 



A fitting welcome for a sheep tour

Our accommodations were a house called the Hackney House. I had my own room and bathroom. Unfortunately my bathroom didn't have a shower. I usually took a shower in another bathroom. We all shared the kitchen and other living areas. Hackney House was a short walk to the village. It was a good location for our day trips to all things sheep.


The Hackney House

My room

Dating from 1680, the Black Bull is Reeth's oldest surviving inn. One of the signs on the Black Bull is upside down. The upside down sign is due to a dispute between the landlord and local authorities. We ate at Black Bull a few times. It was the first place I ate in Reeth. It's where I met my fellow sheep enthusiasts. Of course, we talked sheep the first night. I had lamb. Kofkas. The second time we ate at the Black Bull, we watched a football (soccer) match. It was exciting. The Brits won. 


The Reeth area was very picturesque. There were a lot of nearby hiking trails, with views of the village and surrounding countryside. Of course, there were sheep grazing in the pastures.


Place by the stream

Drywalls

Twin Texel sired lambs

Another stream

Stone bridge

No comments: