Sunday, September 20, 2020

Six Months

It's been more than six months since Covid-19 turned all of our lives upside down. In the US, almost 200,000 people have died, with many more sick, hospitalized, and permanently impaired. So far, there have been more than 6.7 million positive cases of Covid in the US. Worldwide, the statistics are even more mind-boggling, though America owns the distinction of having the biggest numbers. Even if you don't totally believe the statistics, which I don't, this is still some serious shit, not to be taken too lightly.

We had to cancel my mother's 90th birthday celebration. Her birthday (on March 16) came and went without much fanfare. I was thankful I had initiated a card shower for her. I had also made her a special memory book. April 14th marked the one year anniversary of my dad's death. A tough day for all of us. Many other significant dates have come and gone since Covid entered our lives. And, it's still here. According to the CDC, there are 30 to 40 thousand new positive tests (in the US) every day (still). Covid is not going away, at least for awhile. A vaccine will help, but many people will opt not to get it (out of fear or ignorance) and the vaccine may also be in limited supply.

A blessing during Covid

I began teleworking on March 13, still am. We are not allowed to hold group meetings with more than 10 people, including ourselves. Hence, everything is still online, even multi-day conferences. County and state fairs were held without us. My office is "open," but few people, including me, go. The exception is the guys that work the farm: frontline workers. I don't think Extension will get back to "normal" for another year or so. Travel is probably way off in the future. Retirement is looking better all the time.

After a  month or two of mostly sheltering-in, the US and Maryland economies began re-opening, with successes and failures and the "failures" being relentlessly shared by the media. The closing of the economy was/is probably more devastating to people, including their health, than the virus itself. Children are a big issue. School is a serious problem. I'm sure only a small percentage of children have positive experiences learning online. So many at-risk children probably learn nothing at all. Adults probably aren't faring much better. Many have lost their jobs or seen their farms or business crumble. Many have had to leave their jobs to care for their children and now facilitate online learning. Stress, anxiety, and depression are probably at all-time highs. Divorce, too. Maybe more babies have been made, too.

Since the shut-down began, my Mom and I have been getting groceries via curb side pickup. A month or two ago, we began going to a grocery store in a small town. It's hard to get some things from curbside pickup. Even my mom is going into the grocery store now. She enjoys this sense of normality. We've been getting take-out food all along and more recently have gone inside a few restaurants to eat. We take weekend drives, but limit our destinations to outside venues. Recently, we visited the Flight 93 Memorial (near Shanksville, PA) and Harper's Ferry. It's good to get out. Outside seems to be the safest strategy for avoiding this "plague." It's good for your mental health, too.

Our research went on as usual.

Masks have become controversial. I don't get it. Even if the science isn't in total agreement, shouldn't you err on the side of caution?  What's the big deal about wearing a mask? I hate it when people say masks are a personal choice. They are not. When you wear a mask, you are protecting other people more than yourself. Shouldn't you care about other people? Do it for the public good? Some people think mask mandates are violating their personal rights. I disagree. We follow laws everyday to protect ourselves and other people. Seat belts, helmets, speed limits, and smoking restrictions are examples. I get angry when I go into an establishment and some people, including the workers, aren't wearing masks or they are wearing them incorrectly (below their noses). I say to myself, "what is wrong with these people?!"  Sometimes, I feel rage building inside of me.

Covid has been political from the start, with President Trump downplaying the risk and the left (and left-leaning media) doing their best to scare the shit out of people. Republicans advocate for opening the economy, including schools. The Democrats want us to hide in our homes and accept no risk. A lackluster economy (and fear) is their best chance to defeat Trump in November. We are in unchartered territory. There are no right and wrong answers. When this pandemic is behind us, there will be plenty of blame thrown around, but unless the Chinese created this virus in one of their labs (possible), Mother Nature is the only one to blame. The virus is an Act of God. Let's never forget who is really in charge of what happens on earth. 

The response to Covid is another subject, but you can only control what the masses do if your government is a dictatorship. They don't care about the impacts of draconian policies, which hurt impoverished people the most. Imagine defying the masking order in China. You'd probably be shot in North Korea. People are expendable to them. Some of America's greatest strengths -- independence and personal liberties -- have  made it hard to control the spread of the virus. In my opinion, the appropriate response must be to find the correct balance between protecting public health and protecting the economy (also public health). If people follow the simple recommendations of masking, social distancing, washing hands, and avoiding crowds (especially inside), their risk for contracting Covid will be minimal. These are all possible in an open economy, including school. I don't understand why vnues can't be opened with similar precautions. It seems stupid to play sports in empty stadiums.

Harper's Ferry: one of our weekend drives

I don't mind teleworking too much. I have a good home office, with good computers and peripherals and a high speed internet connection. Even a new office chair. The only distraction I have is my pets. Sometimes, I have to lock the cats out during webinars. I've been doing webinars and social media for more than 10 years. I started my first web site in 1998.  I've learned how to edit video and audio. The lamb project at the research center went on as usual. It has allowed me to interact with my colleagues.

My farm provides a good outlet for my  mental health. It's a way to be outdoors and enjoy the simple pleasures in life. Covid has allowed me to take better care of my aging dog. Zak is getting closer to 16. He lost his ability to walk 5 weeks ago. The addition of Oliver to the household has been a major blessing. Five months old now, Oliver is both lovable and crazy. He gives Crissy lots of attention. She seems to enjoy it (mostly). The arrival of fall with its cooler weather is welcome. No sure what effect cooler weather will have on Covid.

No comments: