Wednesday, March 01, 2006

"Humane" education bullshit

I received a solicitiation in the mail today from the National Humane Education Society, based in Charlestown, West Virginia. I received some cute wrapping paper and gift tags. The enclosed literature told a heart-wrenching story about two mistreated pets, Sandy and Miracle. Who's heart strings wouldn't be tugged a bit after reading their stories. Get out your check books.

Being the untrusting person that I am, I thought, "What are these people going to do with my money?" So, I visited their web site and read their various position statements. My mouse immediately clicked on the articles that relate to my industry: agriculture. These people described "normal" agriculture as "factory farming." Whoever coined the term factory farming ought to get a commission every time this term is tossed out. The web site claimed that "most" food animals are confined in restrictive, dark areas. Another article claimed that animals are slowly bled to death during slaughter. According to the web site, farms do not provide animals adequate water, food, shelter, or veterinary attention. I just wonder how many farmers have figured out how to stay in business by depriving animals of these basic needs. The reality is: more pigs are vaccinated than children! Farm animals consume more balanced diets than people!

I'll bet the founder of this organization doesn't realize that the National Organic Standards don't allow sick animals to be properly treated: no antibiotics (even if the animal has a fever or life-threatening disease), no anti-parasitic drugs (even if the animal is severaly parasitized and is going to die), nothing to prevent coccidiosis, a deadly diarrheal disease. Let's by all means keep animals outside, so predators can eat them, they can eat poisonous plants, and bloat on legumous plants. The reality is: animals outside have just as many perils as those in confinement. I know where my sheep go when the weather turns foul. The goats won't even tolerate one drop of rain!

Everybody has a right to their opinions, even if they are based on emotion and ignorance. What I hate is when these organizations mislead the public by not revealing their true agenda. In the case of animals rights organizations like the National Humane Education Society, the agenda is the abolishment of animals for food, entertainment, medical research, hunting, and countless other uses that the vast majority of Americans find acceptable. Kind-hearted people who love their dogs and cats will open their check books without realizing how their money is being spent.

All I ask is that organizations such as these lay their cards on the table. Reveal their true intentions and stop misleading the American public. Solicit donations honestly. If people share their vision, they will send money. Of course, the risk is they won't send money because they don't support the full animal rights agenda. I used to boast to my family that if I ever had a lot of money I'd donate it to spay and neuter dogs and cats. In reality, I wouldn't. Because most of the organizations that advocate spaying and neutering pets use this popular cause to cover up their larger animal rights agenda that seeks to abolish the use of animals for any purpose.

My other pet peave is that donations to these "politically-minded" organziations are tax-deductable. I think I need to write to my congressional delegation to voice my opinion on this tax loop-hole.

Enough said for now. It's almost midnight. I need to go out to my barn to check on my pregnant sheep and goats. Of course, being a "factory farmer," I don't provide them any food, water, shelter, or veterinary care. I guess I won't give "Freckles" her twice daily treat anymore!


God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." -- Genesis 1:26

No comments: