Monday, June 09, 2008

Sports wrap

The Baltimore Orioles are playing 500 ball and are sitting at the bottom of their division. Of course, this is a rebuilding year; they're not supposed to be any good. It's been a long time since the Birds were good. As a life long Oriole fan, I have to cling to the memories of the great teams of the 70's and early 80's.

The Hagerstown Suns have a losing record. The other teams score lots of runs against them. My dad and I want to go to more games, but the weather is currently too hot and humid. We went to a game a couple of weeks ago. The stadium was pretty full. It was a Saturday night and the first 1,000 fans received a bobble head figure. There were fireworks after the game. We like it better when the stadium is "empty."

I'm not usually a horse racing fan, but I was rooting for Big Brown to win the Belmont Stakes. It's been many years since we had a triple crown winner. But it was not to be. Not only did the colt not win, but he finished dead last, after his jockey pulled him away from the pack. There are no explanations for Big Brown's disappointing run. Perhaps, he just didn't feel like he was in the groove.

I've watched the first two games of the NBA finals. I've always been a basketball fan, and it's my favorite sport to play. Two Celtic victories, so far. The Lakers and Celtics have always had a big rivarly. Back in the 80's, I rooted for the Celtics. I was a big fan of Larry Bird and Kevin McHale and the playing style of the Celtics. Today, I'm rooting for Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers. Hopefully, the Lakers will fare better on their home court, with all the Hollywood stars watching them.

Redskins football isn't too far in the future. Who knows what things will be like with a new coaching staff. I was glad the 'Skins re-signed Todd Collins, last year's late season hero. Jason Campbell is developing into a solid QB. I hope Clinton Portis still has a good season left in him. The 'Skins seem to fare as Portis does. Maybe Jim Zorn will open up the Redskins offense. Hopefully, the Redskins will make the playoffs in 2008, and if they do, go farther than they did in 2007.

No comments: