Thursday, January 24, 2008

So far

Okay, so I'm back to my lists. So far, it's been an interesting year.
  • The New England Patriots will play the New York Giants in Superbowl 42. The Pats beat the Chargers in the AFC title game, unexpectedly winning on the strength of their defense, not the arm of their playboy quarterback. Brady threw three picks. Now, he's nursing an injury and was photographed wearing a brace.
  • The G men surprised the football world by beating the Green Bay Packers in one of the coldest games in NFL playoff history. I was cold just watching the game in my parent's toasty living room. I had to cover myself with two blankets. The previous week, the Pack beat the Seahawks in a fun frolic in the snow. I wonder if they'll ever put a dome over the stadium in Green Bay? Probably not. I guess the cheese hats'll keep those Packer fans warm.
  • All the while, I was rooting for the venerable Brett Farve to return to the Super Bowl, but it was not to be. But don't count the Pack out. They are one of the NFL's youngest teams and Brett seems to have a lot of life left in his arm.
  • Eli is playing like a Pro Bowl quarterback. Big Plaxico Burris was unstoppable in the frigid cold, constantly beating the Packer's Pro Bowl cornerback, long-haired Al Harris. Harris's only interception was called back due to pass interference. The Pat secondary better find a way to control Burris or it could prove to be a long afternoon for them.
  • Don't count the Giants out. They played toe-to-toe with the Patriots in the final game of the regular season. You never know. If Eli matches Brady throw for throw . . .
  • Nonetheless, I want the 17-0 Patriots to complete their perfect season and etch themselves into the record books as one of the best, if not best teams, in NFL history -- in all of sport's history. Eventually, Tom Brady will hold all the quarterback records. Joe Montana must be looking over his shoulder; Joe Namath, too, because of Brady's escapades off the field.
  • I'm looking forward to the Superbowl commercials, especially the Budweiser ones, but not the half time entertainment (Tom Petty). I'll be in Dallas on Superbowl Sunday. I guess I'll be out of town during the Superbowl most years, since this is when the Southern Section of the American Society of Animal Science meets.
  • Joe Gibbs retired as coach of the Washington Redskins. It was not totally unexpected, despite the year left on his contract. He took the 'Skins to the playoffs a few times during his second tenure as head coach, but could never put the team back into the Superbowl. Nice try, Joe. Good luck in retirement.
  • Joe's replacement has not been announced yet. I've always assumed it would be high paid and well-thought of defensive coordinator, Greg Williams. The Ravens have a new head coach. Who cares?
  • Oil hit $100 a barrel. Gas prices slipped back below $3 today. I put four new tires on the truck. My old Ford pick-up still runs well. I haven't bought a GPS unit yet -- can't decide on a model -- but I plan to.
  • Heath Ledger was found dead, an apparent drug overdose. A fine young actor. Such a tragedy. I enjoyed his work in The Patriot, Four Feathers, and A Knight's Tale. He was good as a gay cowboy in Brokeback Mountain, though it was hard for me to watch. At least the scenery was pretty and no sheep were harmed during the filming.
  • Susan Pleshette died of natural causes. She'd fought cancer. She's best known for her role in the '70's Bob Newhart Show.
  • My favorite song of the new year is "A Letter to Me," by Brad Pasley. In the song, Pasley gives advice to himself, as a 17 year old. "International Harvestor" by Craig Morgan is a catchy tune that is getting a lot play time on country radio. If you don't like his driving (in his International Harvestor)," then get back on the interstate!"
  • I've read two excellent books from two of my favorite authors: "The Secret Servant" by Daniel Silva and "Stone Cold" by David Baldaci. I took a day to read each book. In the first book, Israeli assassin Gabriel Allon intervenes when the daughter of the U.S. Ambassador to Britain is kidnapped by terrorists. Stone Cold re-unites the Camel Club, some of my favorite characters. But this one has a tragic ending and I'm not sure they'll be any more Camel Club novels.
  • January's been cold, but so far only one snowfall. Some of it's still on the ground. It's flurrying tonight. I hope we get at least one good snow this year, preferably on a Thursday or Sunday night.
  • Three Republicans have won presidential primaries. Fred Thompson has dropped out of the race already. No wins for Rudy G. yet. McCain seems to be the GOP front runner, despite his age. The next big test is Florida. The Maryland primary is in February. I'm still undecided.
  • Obama won in Iowa, but Hillary has regained the top spot for the Dems. Obama has some attractive qualities, but I don't think he has enough experience or mettle to lead the world's lone super power. Though I don't agree with most of her politics (or any Democrat that's running, for that matter), I think Hillary could probably handle this role. It's beginning to look like Clinton vs. McCain.
  • President Bush visited the Middle East and promised an Israel-Palestine peace accord before his second term ends. Rhetoric or reality? Time will tell.
  • American Idol has resumed.
  • Beta fish #4, Aristotle is still alive.
  • The screenwriters remain on strike. Still lots of reruns on the tube. I'm eager for Grey's Anatomy to return. In the last new episode, McDreamy and Meredith finally broke up. She didn't like him kissing a pretty nurse. Go figure.
  • I'm sick of hearing about Brittany Spears. Would have been better her than Heath Ledger. Her kids would be better off without her and the rest of her family. I pity the children of celebrities. They're probbaly better off raised by nannies or sent away to boarding school.
  • I've become addicted to reruns of Two and a Half Men -- back-to-back episodes starting at 7 p.m. The kid's the funniest part of the show.
  • I've been to College Park twice. That's enough for the year.
  • Zak ran away for 7 1/2 hours. He had a bath at Petsmart and took a dump in the toy aisle. Tic-Tac finally went home. She was a much better guest this year. Damon has another puppy for me, but I think I'll pass. Max is Max, mischievous and cuddly at the same time.
  • The Maryland men's basketball team upset top ranked North Carolina on the Tarheel's home court. 4th ranked Duke is next on the agenda, a home game for the Terps.
  • I visited Virginia Tech to speak, but couldn't find the memorial to the April 16th massacre during my quick drive around the Drill Field. I didn't have time to visit the book store.
  • Maryland's six percent sales tax became a reality. I oppose ALL tax increases, especially ones that will never be repealed. O'Malley has certainly not earned my respect. As the bumper sticker on my truck says, "Don't blame me, I voted for Erhlich."
  • The sheep are doing fine, eating and gestating. First lambs are due ~March 10. There will be a mess of them. I like the colored ones.

No comments: