Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Be Cool

On the way to work this morning, I was thinking about all the "cool" things I've done, cool things that I still want to do, and things I've done that aren't so cool. Thought they'd make a good topic for the blog.


Cool things I've done:

  • Steered a boat through the Suez Canal -- didn't hit anything!
  • Drove a BMW on the autobahn when there was no speed limit. Stayed in the "slow" lane and only drove 110 mph.
  • Visited the Soviet Union before it broke apart.
  • Lived in Poland for six months.
  • Met the President of the Dominican Republic.
  • Heard a speech by Boris Yeltsen while I was standing in line to visit the Lenin Masoleum.
  • Rode a camel around the pyramids at Giza.
  • Participated in a taxi race in Moscow. My car won.
  • Met Eugene "Lucky" Flucky, WWII submariner and recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor.
  • Participated in another "taxi" race. This time in Egypt with donkey carts and young boys as drivers. My cart won.
  • Drove to the top of Pike's Peak. Had a bowel movement at 14,110 ft!
  • Drove the scenic Beartooth Highway in Montana and Wyoming.
  • Rode a horse on the beach in Barbados.
  • Saw a Beluga whale born at Marineland in Canada.
  • Went horseback riding in Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado.
  • Went inside St. Basil's Catheral.
  • Visited Kazakhstan three times.
  • Went snorkeling and swimming in the Blue Lagoon in Jamaica.
  • Held a lion's stomach in my hands (during surgery at the vet hospital where I worked).
  • Saw the Bay of Fundy, one of the natural wonders of the world.
  • Toured the Pentagon.
  • Went snowmobiling in Lake Tahoe. Fell off the snowmobile at least three times.
  • Saw performances of the Moscow Circus and Bolshoi Opera.
  • Visited Roswell, New Mexico. Met an alien, got abducted, and kicked out of area 51.
  • Wrote my name in the sand at Whitesands National Park. Spelled it wrong.
  • Went up in the Sear's Tower and Empire State Building. Waited for Cary Grant -- he never showed. Nor did Tom Hanks.
  • Went to church services in a castle in Kracow, Poland.
  • Ate dinner in Yugoslavia before civil war tore it apart -- the country, not my dinner.
  • Showed at the Centennial National Southdown Show in Louisville, Kentucky.
  • Judged the National Sheep and Goat Shows in the Dominican Republic. Three times.
  • Learned how to juggle.
  • Ate real Hungarian Gulash.
  • Went horseback riding through vineyards in Hungary.
  • Ate three lobsters for dinner in Maine.
  • Saw a white buffalo (in North Dakota) named White Cloud.
  • Delivered lots of baby lambs.
  • Went rock climbing and repeling in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
  • Participated in a 20 km cross country ski race in Szkarska PorÄ™ba, Poland. 7 klicks and I was out! Had never skiied before in my life. Not since, either.
  • Spoke at an international conference in Brazil.

Cool things I still want to do:

  • Go on an African safari.
  • Go to Paris.
  • Visit Norway.
  • Take a cruise to Antartica.
  • Ride an elephant.
  • Jump out of an airplane.
  • Ride a mule down into the Grand Canyon.
  • Drive the Alaskan Highway.
  • Drive a race car.
  • Drive the entire length of Route 50 -- from Ocean City to Sacremento.
  • Go to a professional basketball game (NBA, not WNBA).
  • Drive to Chile.
  • Set foot on every continent. So far, I've been in North America, South America, Africa, and Europe.
  • Visit every U.S. state. Still haven't been to Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon, and Rhode Island.
  • Ride on the sailboat that my brother is building (out of steel).
  • Go to a Washington Redskin's football game.
  • Go to a boxing match.
  • Visit Ground Zero.
  • Tour the White House.
  • Fly first class. I've flown business class, but never first class.
  • Visit Romania, Vietnam, and South Africa.
  • Go to New Zealand and Australia.
  • Go to Mexico.
  • Ride a bull named Fu Manchu (for 2.7 seconds).
  • See the Loch Ness Monster.
  • Meet Tony Blair.
  • Take a train ride across Canada.
  • Take a cruise down the Nile.
  • See the Great Wall of China.
  • See Stonehenge.
  • Drive the LA Freeway.
  • Go on a date with Matthew McConaughey.
  • Create my own breed of sheep. Susanschaf.
  • Publish a novel.
  • Take up fencing and/or kickboxing.
  • Get a makeover.
  • Learn another language.
  • Win a million dollars by making a basket from half court.
  • Host a talk radio show.
  • Go hang gliding.
  • Coach a basketball team.
  • Did I mention go on a date with Matthew McConaughey?

Things that I've done that aren't so cool:

  • Got a ticket in a country that didn't have a speed limit. I ran a red light, so they said. Mailed me a ticket - I didn't pay!
  • Fell off a donkey. Good thing I didn't fall off a camel. I'd have broken some bones.
  • Drank water from the Nile River and lived to tell.
  • Drank water in the Dominican Republic and barely lived to tell.
  • Spent the night in the emergency room in a Chicago hospital.
  • Locked the keys in the car on the Polish-Ukranian border under the watchful eyes of the border patrol (up in their towers).
  • Voted for Teddy Kennedy when he was running against Jimmy Carter in the Democratic Primary in 1980.
  • Voted for George W. Bush a second time. Of course, what choice did I have?
  • Had the airbags in my car go off twice.
  • Totaled my Ford Escape.
  • Backed into garbage dumpsters, loading docks, mail boxes, and other cars. At least, I never ran any of my pets over.

No comments: