Thursday, July 20, 2006

Thundering Water

Recently, my niece and I spent six days in Niagara Falls, Canada. It was the fourth time I had seen the falls. It was Samantha's first visit. The falls were as breath-taking as ever.

The American Falls

Canadian Horseshow Falls

Maid of the Mist

Close-up of the falls

While in Niagara Falls, we visited nearby Marineland and saw a Beluga whale born. There were numerous other animal exhibits: red and fallow deer, elk, bison, black bear, and other marine animals and shows. We rode the world's largest steel roller coaster, called "Dragon Mountain." The roller coaster had several double loops.

Beluga Whales at Marineland

A Black Bear waiting to be fed

During our stay, the Italians beat the French in the World Cup. There was pandemonium in the streets. I'd never seen anything like it before. I didn't dare say, "it's only soccer!" In honor of the Italian victory, Samantha and I ate at Mama Mia's Italian restaurant. It was very nice. Good food and speedy service.

Celebrating the World Cup Victory

Niagara Falls skyline

Though I came home with empty pockets, Niagara Falls is a fantastic place for a family vacation or romantic getaway. It's a natural wonder of the world, with plenty of other attractions. It's the third natural wonder I've seen. I've been to the Grand Canyon and I've seen the Bay of Fundy. Guess I've got nine more wonders to go

No comments: